Our attorneys have been deeply involved in the design, documentation, and implementation of tax and corporate structures for our clients allowing them to minimize costs, benefit from tax incentives and credits, and confidently expand their operations into other markets. We have also assisted numerous high net worth individuals in their personal tax, succession, and asset protection planning.
Our Tax Planning & Strategy Group works collaboratively with our clients’ financial advisors and auditors to ensure that all prospective transactions and deals have the desired legal, tax, financial, and reporting outcome. We work closely with the attorneys in our Corporate Practice Group to coordinate the preparation of all documents, contracts, and intercompany agreements required to implement or document a particular transaction or tax planning strategy.
Our attorneys are constantly monitoring new or proposed laws and regulations to determine the potential impact on the tax strategies of our clients. As their business advisors, it is our mission to assist them in developing strategies to ensure compliance with all new tax developments and minimize their impact and cost on their operations.
- Since 2012, the Tax Practice Group has been ranked as one of the leading tax law groups in Puerto Rico according to Chambers & Partner’s Global and Latin America Guides.
Representative Matters and Transactions:
- Represented a U.S. based private equity fund in the development and implementation of a tax efficient structure for the acquisition of a commercial real estate loan and REO portfolio from one of Puerto Rico’s local banks.
- Acted as counsel to a local bank in the design and implementation of procedures for compliance with all federal reporting and withholding requirements under FATCA for their Puerto Rico and U.S. branches.
- Acted as counsel to a multinational pharmaceutical company that had maintained operations within Puerto Rico for approximately 25 years in the process of executing a shutdown of Puerto Rico Operations, including the establishment and implementation of a strategy for minimizing the Puerto Rico tax costs/exposures related to the shutdown.
- Advised multinational client in the acquisition of educational institution in the city of New York in a $6MM transaction that included the forbearance of approximately $12MM of target debt. Negotiated all tax and financial clauses related to the acquisition and forbearance documents and structured the transaction and related documents in order to avoid the imposition of federal or Puerto Rico taxes to client or its shareholders.
- Advised client in the redemption of a majority shareholder stake in a $20MM transaction. Successfully structured the transaction to achieve significant tax and cash flow benefits for the company and its redeemed shareholder.
- In a groundbreaking transaction and first-ever in Puerto Rico, acted as local tax counsel to the purchasers of $350,000,000 of senior secured notes issued for the financing of a world class Public Private Partnership (P3) transaction involving Puerto Rico’s International Airport.