Obtaining patents on inventions and innovations may well be the best-known way to protect the value of your intellectual property. This is why the patent application and prosecution process is a central element of our IP work. We work closely with our clients to help them decide which inventions to patent, the countries in which patents should be sought, and the ways to further protect your investment in a patented invention.
The Ferraiuoli team has the largest patent practice in Puerto Rico with four practitioners admitted to prosecute patents before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. In addition to our attorneys, we have a technical specialist with over four years of experience as a patent examiner before the USPTO. Eugenio Torres, the leader of Ferraiuoli’s patent prosecution practice, has taught a patent prosecution practice course at the University of Puerto Rico Law School and currently teaches a Law School Clinic certified by the USPTO for patent prosecution. Our team routinely offers seminars on patent prosecution matters throughout Puerto Rico.
Beyond Puerto Rico, we provide patent services to clients from all over the world, including mainland United States, Latin America, Europe, and Asia.
We also have an emergent Design Law practice which includes prosecution of design patents, trade dresses and copyrights for design-related industries. Our clients are innovators in the areas of product design, product packaging, website design, user experience design, architecture, fashion, and art. As the Federal Circuit opinion in Apple v. Samsung affirmed, well-rounded intellectual property portfolios that cover a product’s functionality and design are the best protection for certain inventions. We work with our clients to ensure they have taken all factors into consideration to protect their vital investments.
Our patent practice offers a full range of services, including:
- Utility and Design Patent Litigation
- Utility and Design Patent Prosecution (including international applications)
- Utility and Design Patent Licensing
- Utility and Design Patent Searching
- Utility and Design Patent Opinions: Freedom-to-Operate, Invalidity, Patentability and Infringement
- Academic institutions such as Ana G. Méndez University System and the Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico
- Product development and distribution companies such as Coca Cola and Toledo Fine Locks
- Golf legend Chi Chi Rodríguez